We are reputable manufacturers of high quality hardwood flooring. We take pride in having a high standard for flooring and giving the most reasonable prices around.
Throughout the local region, which includes major cities such as Louisville, KY, Indianapolis, Indiana, Cincinnati, OH, we’ve been happy to supply with our beautiful hardwood flooring.
Our material has also been shipped throughout the country and has graced the floors of many prestigious homes.
Durability: Hardwood floors are extremely durable and can last for decades with proper care. They are less prone to damage from scratches and dents than other flooring materials, and can be refinished to look like new.
Aesthetic appeal: Hardwood floors have a timeless and classic look that can add warmth and character to any home. They come in a wide variety of species, colors, and finishes, giving homeowners a lot of options to choose from to match their style and preferences.
Easy maintenance: Hardwood floors are easy to maintain and clean, as they do not trap dirt, dust, or allergens. Regular sweeping and occasional mopping is all that is needed to keep them looking their best.
Increased home value: Hardwood floors can add significant value to a home, as they are highly desirable among homebuyers. They are seen as a high-end and luxurious flooring option that can improve the overall look and feel of a home.
Understanding the cost is an important factor to consider when choosing flooring for your space. While it’s true that hardwood flooring may have a higher upfront cost compared to some other flooring options, it’s essential to consider the long-term value and benefits that hardwood flooring provides. Here are a few points to consider:
Potential Cost Savings: While the initial investment in hardwood flooring may be higher, it’s important to consider the potential cost savings in the long run. Hardwood floors are relatively low-maintenance and can be easily cleaned with regular sweeping and occasional mopping. Additionally, unlike carpeting, hardwood floors do not trap dust, allergens, or pet dander, which can improve indoor air quality and potentially reduce related health issues and cleaning costs.
Refinishing and Restoration: Hardwood flooring offers the unique advantage of being able to be refinished multiple times. Over time, if your floors become scratched, worn, or outdated, you have the option to have them sanded and refinished to restore their original beauty. This process can significantly extend the lifespan of your flooring and eliminate the need for costly replacement.
Increase in Property Value: Hardwood flooring is often seen as a desirable feature by potential buyers or tenants. Installing hardwood floors can enhance the overall value and marketability of your property. If you ever decide to sell or rent your space, the investment in hardwood flooring can pay off in terms of attracting prospective buyers or tenants.
Unique Character and Customization: Hardwood flooring provides the opportunity to create a truly unique and personalized space. With a variety of wood species, finishes, and stains available, you can choose the perfect combination to match your style and decor. This customization allows you to create a one-of-a-kind flooring design that reflects your taste and adds character to your space.
Remember, hardwood flooring is an investment that can greatly enhance the beauty, durability, and value of your space. It’s worth considering the long-term benefits and the potential cost savings that come with choosing hardwood flooring. At Phillips Lumber, we offer a range of hardwood flooring options at various price points to suit different budgets. Our knowledgeable team can help you find the right solution that meets both your aesthetic preferences and financial considerations.
– All hardwood flooring should acclimate to your homes moisture content 3-10 days BEFORE installation depending on season and conditions this could greatly vary and an EMC chart can be used to find acclimation point (in winter months when the air is drier it is possible to over acclimate 3-5 days could be sufficient ) summer more humid months may take longer and will require air conditioning for best results
– Making sure the subfloor is close to the same moisture content as the flooring is best
– Always use a vapor barrier (15 lb. black paper) under the flooring
– Make sure you allow ample expansion around perimeter of the installed room, usually 3/8’’- ½’’ is sufficient, and your baseboard or shoe mold will cover this crack.
– Always inspect every piece for cosmetic or other defects before nailing it down most pieces with defects can be cut and used in other places. THIS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE INSTALLER NOT THE MANUFACTURER AT THIS POINT
– If installing wider than 5’’ flooring it may be necessary to GLUE and nail to keep movement at a minimal. Always use appropriate flooring glue that is made for hardwood flooring
– On Hickory or exotics it is important to use nails and not staples for installation
– If spanning the full width of the house start your flooring in the center or close to the center like the edge of the hallway and install both directions (tongues going away from each other) this will cut any expansion over the open area by 50% due to how the nail holds allowing flooring to expand and retract in opposite directions. This is probably the most overlooked installation guideline that could be the more important in a wide coverage area.
– If installing hardwood in the dry winter months and spanning over 16’ width of a room use removable floor spacers at appropriate intervals for expansion in the warmer damp months ahead. Spacers are about a credit card thickness gap and will not be noticeable and can save a lot of headache if you need some expansion room especially on woods like maple and hickory. Some installers use weed eater string and pull it up when section is nailed. Section size depends on room size and other variables.
– ALWAYS keep your homes relative humidity between 30%-55%, higher than this can result in cupping or swelling that could lead to buckling if not resolved quickly. Usually the spring and summer months will run high and the winter months will be drier, so the more controlled environment in your home will lead to a more stable floor. Your basement and crawlspace need to be dry as well.
– If your home has a lot of hardwood flooring try to AVOID leaving your windows opened during a heavy rain, you can trap the moisture in your house which will be absorbed by the wood leading to unwanted expansion
-To clean your floor after finishing use an approved hardwood floor cleaner that is compatible with your finish such as Bona floor cleaner or a light damp mop. It is not necessary to use a wax or oil soap
-If at any time you hear lots of popping or cracking taking place in a room that you are not in, give attention to the humidity and possibly need a dehumidifier momentarily.
– All wood flooring has movement in it especially with the changing of the seasons and that percentage is based on the width (the wider the flooring the greater the movement) all the horror stories that you may have heard about could be avoided if installation steps are followed.